Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Remembering Ed

Remembering Ed

Word reached me that Pastor Ed Mohr had been killed in a tragic bike/car accident the week before we left for Haiti. It left me stunned. 

Ed was a trusted colleague, who in addition to pastoring two United Methodist Churches,  used his gift for technology to bring websites to other churches, districts and ministries of the conference. His calling came late in life and he only served as a pastor for the last 8 years of his life.  Ed was a giver.  Often I would tell him about a ministry struggling to get a websites up and he would say, "Send them to me, I'll take care of it."   Weeks later I would hear that Ed the job was done and there was no bill for the services.  That was Ed. 

He had other passions too.  He loved cycling.  He also shared a love and devotion to Haiti. No one has been able to tell me if Ed ever visited Haiti. We never discussed it.  Whether he did or not, he acted like it.  He gave countless hours to support the people of this island.  He produced the Ride for Haiti website and each year climbed on his bike to help raise thousands of dollars to support ministries on this island.  

Ed was a gift to our church and a gift to me.  He was always there when I needed a spare hand connecting our church with the world.  I confess, the week before leaving for Haiti, I was getting really cold feet.  My opportunities to back out of this trip were running out and my anxiety was rising.  Ed's death reminded me that we can be taken any day.  Live life to its fullest.  The night of Ed's death I handed my life over to God.  If my creator wanted to take me in Haiti so be it. One week later, I climbed on a plane, took a leap of faith and have been transformed by the people of Mizak.

As the sun set tonight, Nichea, Don, Carol, Sue, Valerie and I climbed to the ridge overlooking  Mizak valley.  We gently placed Ed's photograph on an ancient burial rock as I read Rev. Laurie Haller's beautiful tribute to Ed.  I don't mind sharing that I shed a few tears tonight for Ed.  Tears of loss for an incredible friend and colleague.  Tears of joy for my new life found in Jesus Christ.  Goodbye my friend Ed.  Thank you and Amen.  



4 comments:

  1. I appreciate your comments so much. When he left our Albion District my first thoughts were how we would function without him but when I found out he was on the Communications Commission for the Conference I was glad to know he would still be around to help all of us! He will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark, Honoring Ed while the mission team is in Haiti was very touching. I have read all your blogs and have been greatly inspired by the amazing ministry in Mizak. I almost feel as if I am there myself when I read your storied. Your account of Mr. Toad's wild ride through Port-au-Prince brought back fond memories! Thank you and greetings to the rest of the team.
    Laurie Haller

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to read this tragic news Mark :(
    Keeping all of you in my prayers, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my Friend, This is a beautiful tribute to Rev. Mohr and an impactful testimony of your obedience. Thanks for sharing. You and the team are in our thoughts and prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, comments or questions. That's why I'm here, to communicate!